Wednesday 29 June 2011

Portfolios and Pamphlets

Obviously since I finished working on my degree I haven't been making much art. Generally the creative stuff I have been doing is practical stuff, usually as favours or part of work. I have been working for an organisation in Bradford called Fabric. They have a lovely art space called Pop Up (Facebook profile can be viewed here: http://www.facebook.com/PopUpArtSpace) My main job is to invigilate but I have also been working on a pamphlet that promoted small, interesting venues in Bradford. I've been looking around to find these places, restaurants, bars, galleries and local shops, then adding them to the guide with pictures and descriptions in a nice design. It's been interesting doing design work as I usually try to avoid it. I also had to make a map which you can see on the back of the guide. These are meant to be simple folded pamphlets so the designs have been very free and unrestrained by the layout of the booklet.

The other work I have been doing is making portfolios. The picture I have attached shows one I am making for my friend Joe who is hoping to become a designer or design teacher having just finished a PGCE year. He hasn't got a website yet but when he does I will be linking it cos his work is great! I also made a teaching portfolio for my sister who managed to get the job she needed the portfolio for, so obviously very proud/ jealous of her! I don't have pictures of that portfolio yet but I will try and get some soon.

The portfolios are very simple, I just get some photos of fabrics from Leeds Market and send them to whoever I'm making the portfolio for, and they choose what design they want. I then use the chosen fabric to cover some A3 boards and a spine, attaching ribbons to the sides that can be tied to keep the loose boards inside. With my sister we spent a whole weekend going through all the photos and papers she wanted in her portfolio, organising it, sticking it onto the boards then annotating it. I expect something similar to happen with Joe's, currently it's just drying. I love making these as the result is usually very satisfying!

On a last note I found out I got a 2:1 for my degree which I am very happy about! Looking forward to seeing my family and celebrating with them, my Dad has the champagne ready!

 

Posted via email from iamrosie's posterous

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Rosie
    Congratulations on your Bachelor of Arts degree !!

    Its a lot o hard work especially your final exhibition ..........

    I was thinking that maybe you might consider participating in the

    http://somethinkcollective.blogspot.com/

    Aine Scannell

    ReplyDelete