Saturday 21 November 2009

Day In The Life Of......

.....A Painting.
I'm mixing together paintings and photographs in one big 'tiling' of images and this is the process I go through to make the paintings:

Step One: Again I need a whole bunch of new objects.
Step Two: I paint a sheet of paper in black acrylic.
Step Three: Once thats dry I cut it up into squares of roughly the same size as my photos.
Step Four: I now have the little black squares to paint my objects on.
Step Five: I start painting one object onto each tile in white paint.
Step Six: I tack them up with my photographs.

I've found that as I have done this more and more, my painting style has gone through a number of different stages, at first I used only white paint, painting only the white areas and highlights resulting in quite a thick, contrasty image. However after a while I started using black paint aswell to make the black areas of the images stronger and to tidy up the areas I had highlighted.
Now when I paint the objects I find that not only do I use solid black paint to enforce the darker areas, I'm also mixing it with the white paint so I can introduce grey areas and shading into my images. The result now is less contrasty, but a lot more tonal and life like.

The direction I'm hoping to take with these images (both painted and photographic) is dictated by the objects. They are all quite decorative objects so I've been playing around with the idea of wall papers and making a homely feel. This could be because I'm away from home and often miss it.
The Edward Lear texts are still involved but they are taking a more supportive role in my work now. I'm going to use the poems to catagorize my objects when it comes to making motifs, so the individual wallpapers will be illustrative of his poems and texts. 

Posted via email from iamrosie's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment