Sunday 15 November 2009

Not-So-Funny Art

'The warm glow that suffuses the ' golden hour' in Los Angeles acts to filter the grim realities, the outright lies, the self-deceptions, which allow Hollywood, and by extension, America to flourish.' - Philip Lorca Dicorcia on his 'Twilight' series.

The first two images from the five below are photographs by Dicorcia from his series 'Twilight' (sometimes know as The Hustlers as the models were all men on the street who Dicorcia had paid to sit for him. Each one is titled with the sitters name, place of birth and rate of pay). When I found Dicorcia's work I saw a mayjor link between the sombre, lonely feel of his images, and the still silence in Hoppers paintings. Also the project I was working on at the time was about the hassles within daily life, so I used his tired lethargic style to produce my own set of photographs which are the next three photograph below.

Like Dicorcia's work theres a part of you that can relate to the subject matter in my images. I looked at things like waiting for the bus, cleaning, food-shopping and being ill. When I showed other people my work they had all had similar experiances of thier own- it was great to have such a direct reaction "man I hate waiting for buses!!"/ "I have a really boring job like that" however negative the feelings toward my subject matter might be!

It's strange, while I love the idea of 'funny art' and making people smile when they look at my work, there's this big part of me that just keeps returning to sadness and depression. Maybe thats just my influences (Hopper and Dicorcia etc) or perhaps theres a part of me that feels I need to address these things...... which is quite depressing...

Posted via email from iamrosie's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment