Tuesday 22 February 2011

Improving Previous Ideas

In my last post I showed the new way I have been binding books as well as some acetate books I have been making. Since then I have made about 10 acetate books which are drawn, and three bound books. However I've found a way of improving the books I make.

 

In the pictures with this post there I have shown the acetate books and some pictures of the new way I have been binding books. Instead of using hessian (which as I said before was too thick) I have been using felt, a softer, thinner fabric. I have also slightly changed the way I cut the fabric before gluing it to the boards so the folds around the corners aren't so apparent. I feel that these minor changes have made a world of difference!

 

After rebinding the first fold out printed book (shown in the previous post) I made another which folds differently and got a photo book printed and bound that. The photo book contains stills taken from an animation I made of handling books in a library. It's almost like a flick book except its presented as the normal book layout so the movement of the photos is slower and represents the journey the viewer takes as they travel through the pages of the book. The body of this book is attached to its cover with an elastic band (the best way I have at the moment of attaching the book to its cover without restricting the movement of the pages).

 

The acetate books have evolved to be photos printed onto acetates then folded into little books and pages (rather than the images being drawn). They look much smarter and have a more resolved feel, linking into the photo book in their use of photography, yet also referencing paper folding. However I still feel the drawn versions (shown in the previous post) look more fragile... At this point I will probably carry on making both!

 

Posted via email from iamrosie's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment