Thursday 10 February 2011

Transparent Books and Learning to Make Covers

I've been trying to improve how I make the covers on my books so they look more resolved and professional. This is turning out to be quite tricky as book binding is a very complicated and precise craft. The first image here is my attempt at making a cover with the body of the book loose so it can be played with and handled without the hardback cover getting in the way. I used Hessian which is too thick really as on the inside the paper I have stuck onto the book to hide where I have glued down the hessian is quite bumpy and not very tidy. I will keep trying!

The other two pictures are some transparent books I have literally just tried out this evening because I fancied doing some drawing and had some transparent paper hanging around. I made a drawing on the paper then folded it in different ways after. I like the way the viewer doesn't have to handle the work to know the contents. I think this is something I will continue. 

Posted via email from iamrosie's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment